What is studies abroad?

There are three types of studies:

  • Exchange studies: the student is registered in both his/her home university and his/her host university. He/she studies at the host university, but the credits he/she obtained will be transferred to his/her home university, which will issue the student’s diploma. Such opportunities are enabled by partnerships which are signed between the home university and the host university, when they have similar education offers
  • Double-degrees: the student studies a programme in two different universities which have agreed to recognize each other’s education. After having completed all the requirements from both universities, the student will be awarded a degree from each of the institutions.
  • Full programmes: the student studies a regular programme at in a foreign university. He/she will receive a diploma from that university. Students who choose that option are considered as free movers.

Please note that we at LNU only deal with exchange studies and double-degrees (in the programmes that offer it). If you want to go abroad as a free mover, you will need to discuss it directly with the universities you are interested in.

Who can study abroad?

Any student enrolled at LNU (except international exchange students) is allowed to apply for studies abroad, regardless of their programme or their citizenship. However, different conditions might apply depending on your situation.

Please note that you cannot go abroad during the first year of your programme.

When can I study abroad?

The period during which you can study abroad depends on your programme and your destination. Indeed, in some programmes, a specific semester or academic year was designated as suitable for studies abroad, whereas in others you can go at any time. In the program syllabus for your program you can find out more about the international possibilities in your program. You can also choose to study abroad during the year after your graduation.

Please note that you usually need to apply for studies abroad about a year before your departure. There are set deadlines where all students can apply for exchange studies.

Where can I study?

Linnaeus University has set up partnerships with about 800 universities worldwide. However, not all partner universities are available to all students. Indeed, we classify our agreements in three categories:

  • Subject specific agreements: these agreements are established within one given field of studies (e.g. Computer Science). Only students within that field can apply to such a partner university. Most Erasmus agreements are within specific subject areas only.
  • Faculty wide agreements: these agreements are established for the whole Faculty of Technology. This means that all students enrolled at the Faculty of Technology can apply, regardless of their field of studies.
  • University wide agreements: these agreements are established for the whole university. This means any student enrolled at LNU can apply, regardless of their field of studies.

Linnaeus University is also a member of study abroad consortium (e.g. ISEP, USAC, and Nordlys). These consortium are open for all student at LNU. 

How do I choose my destination?

When choosing your destination, you should always make sure that our partner institution offers courses that will provide you with skills that are relevant for your programme. The goal of studying abroad is for you to both acquire the knowledge you need to graduate and broaden your skills. In order to make the right decision about your selection, you are welcome to ask your professors for advice.

Also, not all our partner universities offer courses in English. Please keep that in mind when you look for your host institution, as you will only get a placement if you find courses in English or meet the local language requirements.

Finally, we recommend you to inform yourself about the universities themselves, as well as about the city and country they are in. You will find information and links to the universities in the placement list which is published by International Office, when there is an open application. Also, every year, LNU welcomes a number of international exchange students. If there are students coming from the university you want to study at, it would be beneficial for you to get in touch with them. You can contact the International Office to ask them about meeting students from the universities you are interested in. 

How do I get more information and help to plan my studies abroad?

Every year, around the application period, the International Office and the International Affairs Unit of the Faculty of Technology organize information sessions dedicated to studies abroad. You can find more information about that on LNU’s webpage about international possibilities.

You are also welcome to book a meeting with us to discuss your plan in more details.

We also advise you to get in touch with your program manager/professors regarding the academic content of your exchange.

Senast ändrad: måndag, 21 augusti 2023, 13:57